Sunday, August 9, 2009

My New Fork Legs





I spent several hours today filing and fitting. So much so I felt like my arms were going to fall off, but I finally had axle plates.















I then tack-welded them onto the fork legs. I'll have to farm out the welding, as I can't run a tip big enough on my little acetylene bottle to weld 3/4" steel effectively (or safely). It took forever just to get the steel hot enough for tack welds with my #2 tip, but it did work.







I bolted the legs on the bike and set the frame level. The wheel's axle hole was 1.5" above the holes in the axle plates - exactly where I wanted it. Once the weight of the bike is on the forks it should sit perfectly. Now all I need is to get the legs welded up and a proper neck made for the triple trees and I can mount the forks. I still need to figure out a brake caliper mount, but I haven't found a caliper yet, so that will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment